BLACK HISTORY MONTH FACTS
* Dr. Carter G. Woodson started Negro History Week in 1926 - now known as Black History Month!
* Hal Jackson was the 1st radio personality to broadcast 3 daily shows on 3 different NY stations!
* We salute pop icon Michael Jackson for selling over 750 million albums, winning 13 Grammy’s and topping the charts with 13 No. 1 singles
* Wilt Chamberlain, the 1st NBA player to score 100 points in a single game (1961)
* Thurgood Marshall, the first black man ever appointed to the US Supreme Court
* Lorraine Hansberry wrote “A Raisin In The Sun” which was the 1st black female written play that has gone onto Broadway
* Thomas Jennings was the 1st black man to receive a patent for a dry-cleaning process (1821) Civil Rights activist W.E.B. Du Bois was the 1st black man to receive a Ph.D from Harvard
* Benjamin Banneker helped design the blueprints for the city of Washington, D.C.
* Today, we remember Jack Johnson, the 1st black man to hold the World Heavyweight Champion Boxing Title (1908)
* In 1939, Jane Bolin became the 1st black female judge in the US
* Booker T. Washington is the first black man to be depicted on a U.S. stamp (1940).
* In 1968, Shirley Chisholm was the 1st black woman elected to Congress